This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more information.
Even though I am definitely no friendship expert (just ask those close to me), I decided to jot down a couple of tips to keep friendships strong. As a part of my Happiness Project, I have chosen ‘growth‘ to be my word for 2019. The relationship with my friends is one major area I want to focus on growing in. So, how am I trying to achieve this?
- Remember Birthdays – I have made a habit of tracking my friends’ birthdays in my Happy Planner, but I find it helpful to set a reminder on my iPhone couple days before the big day.
- Pray for them – this is possibly the most important habit you can acquire when it comes to friendships. Yes, it’s wonderful to lend a listening ear in times of trouble, but sometimes all they need is God’s intervention — not yours.
- Spend quality time together – yes, life gets busy, I know. However, communication is the foundation of all relationships and friendships are not the exception. Consider scheduling regular outings like brunch every third Saturday or movie night once a month.
- Show up – no matter if it’s a wedding or a funeral, make sure your friends can count on you being there for them. I often struggle with this one myself, but I am determined to do better.
- Pay attention – notice even the little things. What is their favourite ice-cream flavour? How do they take their coffee? Remembering details about someone’s life shows how much you care about them.
- Be honest – always speak the truth (in love). If you can’t be honest with a friend, what’s the purpose of even having one?
- Be supportive – there is absolutely no place for jealousy in a friendship. Never get in their way unless they’re going down.